Wednesday, May 28, 2014

I carried a watermelon...


So far today has not been the greatest day.  When I wake up and my mom (aka the roommate) is up and looking for her bra ready to get dressed and go to the store to buy postcards, it throws me off.  Not in a bad way but in a, lady we are in Baltimore not Mississippi so what do you need postcards?  Her response was well they had a lot of information on them and I need them!  Our family reunion was this past weekend.  It was really great to see everyone but it was such a busy weekend!  We flew in Thursday rested a bit.  Friday we got up and went to MS to visit my mom’s birthplace.  Now because she is 71 and has a bit of dementia, the actual address she gave us was only partially right.  She remembered 23rd street, but it was actually it was 3rd St.  She said it was 223 but there was no 223 to be found.  So we drove up and down 3rd St and she made us ask pretty much everyone on the street where 223 was.  The good thing is we are in the south, WAAAAAAAAY in the south so folks wave and have a hi y’all ready and waiting on their lips, so stopping to ask them questions was really not a problem.    But we stopped about 50eleven people including a man who had about 3 teeth who wanted to just keep talking and a shirtless man who had major tats and tan line and 223 just did not exist.  But we rode around and she was able to see some landmarks.  We then went to her 1st cousins home who she hadn’t seen since the 90’s so it was very emotional.  My cousin has a lot on knick knacks in her home, and that was special!  OH and we stopped at the Kermit the Frog birthplace which is ALSO in Leland, MS! SO yeah.  And then that night we made to Beale Street.  I really didn’t know what that was going to be, but mostly it was bars with singers and bands.  I really just wanted some food.  Saturday we got up went to Denny’s and ate like we never had a meal before in our life only to go to a cookout about an hour later.  The cookout is like the main event for the reunion, even though we had a meet and greet… actually let me back up.  So Friday night we had a meet and greet AND a DJ!!  Now this was a first for us!  Everyone was dancing and eating and we had a great time!! So after the cookout I had to take a beat because it was HOT and I was tired!! Took a shower and went to get some more food… we really do like to eat!  Now I expected a little more soul food and I must admit we really didn’t go to many places BUT the peach cobbler at Kooky Canuck is something to write about!! Man was that thing good!!  Sweet and the crust was off the freaking hook!!! Sunday we had a brunch and brought out booties home!!  I know there is a lot more and I may revisit as the blog goes on.  So that was why my mom was a little confused this morning.  She is still in TN and MS mode and I was totally not ready for that!

I was watching R&B Divas the other day and something really hit me… do you sit around your house face FULLY made with eyelashes?!?!  I mean is that YOUR reality?  I think it was KeKe and her mother just beat for the GODS sitting around the kitchen and then the camera went to Angie Stone and her daughter faces BEAT yet again.  I mean I know you should be camera ready but DAMN Y’ALL!!!  It’s just a bit much, but you know whatever.  And speaking of this show (which I just watched ep 5) Latavia girl start practicing so we can hear you sang.  IT is a singing show and that is what you are required to do.  It can’t be that bad.  I knew something was ‘off’ when I purchased the supposed compilation cd for the show and Faith Evans was the onliest one on the cover, inside and back.  There was no group picture NO WHERE!! It immediately left a bad taste in my mouth and I hadn’t even listened to the thing.  And then I did listen and I still had the bad taste.  I think the only song I liked was the intro song and Syleena’s song.  So the fact that it was nominated for a Grammy but only Faith is the only nominated made complete sense to me.  To be honest most of the R&B categories had some whack nominations, but if that cd had won it would have been beyond messy.   Faith that was hella shady and you know it!  It’s ok to share the spotlight.  And while I really don’t think her nature is to be shady it does look a little dark over there. 

Lime green crocs?!?!  That’s what you rocking dude???  Ok carry on!!

Me and Uncle Sam and the State of Maryland are about to have a lil disagreement.  So I filed and paid taxes for both 2012 and 2013 for the state and sent in an initial check for the gubment for 2012.  The state was like ‘chick!? yeah we gon need some additional past due funds.’  But really it’s not that much so I’m not tripping too hard.  But the I, the R, and the S sent back a letter that basically said ‘that was cute… you tried it!!  Now we want ALL of the money !’ For anyone who knows me, I truly do not play when it comes to taxes.   Or maybe this a family thing, my immediate family and cousins know!!  So it all goes back to when I was a kid.  I had a very close relative go “away” (that means he was in jail), and I was told, I was only about 7 or 8, that he didn’t pay his taxes.  Now that was not the real reason but it was the best reason to give me OR SO THEY THOUGHT!!  They being my mother and father who were trying to shield me from the harsh realities.  What they didn’t realize that this lil white lie has scarred me for life!!  As a kid, probably when I got a little older they would joke about not paying taxes and I would get spastic like OH YES YOU WILL PAY YOUR TAXES!!!!  The thing is they forgot they told me this lie but it quickly became apparent that this is NOT something you joke about in my presence.  Since then, I have been a little paranoid about the whole tax situation so when 2013 came and went without me having filed anything for 2012 was a HUGE deal.  Even though I know it will take more than 1 missed year, I fully expect the sheriff to be at my door any given day to haul me off to jail.  And we can’t have that so I really need to call them people soon and work a deal.

One of the reasons I’m having a not so great day is that my contract has not been renewed.  I’m not really sad but I do need to work in order to pay Uncle Sam. What is hilarious to me is that I just finished talking to a co-worker who nonchalantly said ‘Oh I just passed the bar and I’ll get sworn in next month, but I need some steady income.’  After I picked up my chin I am still flabbergasted that she is so very blessed and is still very matter factly about it!! Good for her.  Meanwhile her contract is up as well and she has a plethora (SAT rod ding ding ding) of opportunities but is worried about this lil job.  Whew folks are funny!!

Random…There is a new show on USA called Playing House and the guy said ‘No one puts baby in the corner’… you know the iconic line from ‘Dirty Dancing’ so the pregnant lady said 'I carried a watermelon!' And the guy was like WHAT?!?!  She said you know from Dirty Dancing… he hadn’t seen the movie.   SO now my titles will be random lines from my favorite movies!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment