Monday, March 26, 2012

random thoughts on Trayvon...

ok soooo... I had to really think about this whole Trayvon Martin thing. And right off the bat, it's much bigger than just some 'thing' and I am not minimalizing it in the least. So let me break it down how it has been sitting and digesting with me.

I had been seeing the buzz on FB a few weeks ago but since I'm not a band jumper-oner it took me a few days to really look at that little boy (who was 17 not12 like he looks in most of the pics they show) and say. 'huh an injustice has been done but SURELY they will arrest that dude so this will pass soon' and then several more days went by, and I stared seeing it on the NATIONAL news. And again I thought 'tragedy in the black community, but I KNOW they will arrest this dude so it will pass'. And day after day after week has passed and this dude has NOT been arrested.

One thing in my mind I know for sure, if it was reversed, a little white kid got shot by a black man, there would BE no question of self defense and that black man would be in jail. But then I look at the dude who did the shooting and he is not necessarily white. What the heck is he? I almost doesn't matter except for the fact that he is not black... or African American if we gonna be PC and he is of some other persuasion. I just goggled and the consensus is he is Mestizo which I've not heard before, but it is Latin person or mixed descent or heritage. maybe the same way we use mulatto. Well we meaning black folks.

If one more person says we are living in a post racial American I am going to scream!!! Racism is alive and well and even though we have a black president the good old boys use that as a reason for doing and saying whatever they want because it's not racist anymore. But it is! I have a running bet with myself because I am just waiting for one of my co-workers to say something out the side of their neck about race relations and then i will be the angry black chick... but anyways I digress

So I sit and watch the news both local and national, and the police chief stepped down and the city manager who looked scared as hell on whatever CNN type show I saw him on is still working and trying to explain why the dude was NOT arrested. And then I thought where the hell is George Zimmerman?!? Don't he have a job? Why hasn't TMZ followed him to get the real story?!? Why cause his ass is in hiding!!

I listen to Michael Baisden and what has troubled me the most to me is that, well first off this Trayvon was only 17 so he was still in school, one of his classmates called in to say that they can't even talk about it in school. There were no grief counselor dispatched and the teachers have been told not to talk about it. I'm not sure how true that is, but the way this whole thing is going, I believe it. I remember when I was a junior in high school and my favorite Spanish teacher killed himself, they had counselors for at least a week if not more because kids were freaking out! Parents don't always know what to say or how to handle it.

This morning as I laid in bed because it's Monday and the body was refusing to move, and then my cat does her intoxicating purr thing and my eyes go sleepy time and I see this dude who is trying to explain the actions of GZ. What he said made only a slight amount of sense. The main thing he said was that we do not have all the facts nor have all the 911 calls been made public. To that I said you know what THAT IS TRUE. So when will we have all the facts?!? When will the investigation begin so that we know what really happened?!? I have such a sneaky suspicion that GZ will never see the inside of a jail.

I am sad for Trayvon Martin's family because he truly died to soon. But I pray for them to be able to make sense of this and be able to move on, not to harbor ill will or grief, they need to let it go. And as easy as that was for me to type I know letting go is not easy and this will always be on their hearts and minds but I pray for peace for them and all that are affects because even though this tragedy is still on the front page, many of our youth get killed senselessly and justice does not prevail. And because I am in prayer mode and I am a Christian, I pray for George Zimmerman. I don't understand how it seemed to be easy for him to take a life, but he has to live with that everyday. I pray he is able to make peace with himself however this case ends up.

Yesterday at church I didn't get the dress down memo. It took me a minute to 'get' that the pastor and his assistant and a few random people in the audience wore hoodies for the million hoodie march out of solidarity. The only hoodie I have is a BRIGHT green with pink letters (I know go figure)which I do not think I would be seen as a threat to anyone anywhere LOL. My friend Ben (Cardin... oh and after that commercial wit the kid doing the narrating about how his friend Ben has dental vans coming into the neighborhoods he is my friend too... cause you KNOW how I feel about teeth) was at church and is starting a bill to ends racial profiling.

Another real random thing was on the radio it was 'classic' Monday where they were playing Fight the power by Public Enemy, U N I T Y by Queen Latifah (you aint a bitch or a HO!... my favorite line is that YOU put hands on me again I'll put yo ass in handcuffs!!!) A few songs by Nas... and then it hit me WHAT rapper today aside from the independents like Pharoah Monch (WE ARE RENEGADES THIS MEANS WAR!!!) and damn who else?!? has anything better to say in their rap than about bling and booty?!? whew I just took a BIG swig of vino and I totally forgot my train of thought... OH I was saying I need to be a spoken word poet and come up with a Bling and Booty ode LOL. no but really no one says anything worth anything anymore.

1 comment: