Thursday, November 11, 2010

i am pack rat...

for some reason today my alarm was extra loud!! which prompted me to jump out of my bed and start cleaning. STILL not sure why but I did. and even though I claim my house is a wreck, I am way more organized than I give myself credit for. HOWEVER, there are always a few lingering things on the floor that I just don't know what to do with. Can't throw it away, doesn't really have a place in the house, but it can just hang out on the floor indefinitely. This morning (well ok it's been there for a hella long time) was a pink notebook, I think it was Spanish from 1989, my 50 state quarters in a ziploc bag (still need a few more states; after 2008 I got a little lazy with the collection) a typed paper from college and my journal entries from 1990. 20 years ago WOW!!

so these entries were for my English class. Mrs. Parschall... and where the heck is she now?? Probably retired. I could do a quick face book look up... but I forget what her first name was (maybe I didn't know it?) was it Linda?? nope Cheryll... dag this technology is a bit unnerving to be finding shit so fast. My general rule is to not friend old teachers though... Even as a grown up (yep at 36 3/4 I am a grown up) I still can't separate the teacher student thing. And my mom was a teacher; I met one of her old student's who was tripping about meeting a person he had only heard my mom talk about (non stop I suspect), it's a really close 6 degrees because he is the cousin of a cousin who lives right near me... but I digress

I was reading these entries it was about 12 of them and I was a pretty funny chick even at 16. One of them was about being older and what's funny 25 was MY AGE I wanted to be it was the 'perfect age'. And that feels forever ago. And then one was about how I was bored and I was dreading going to me grandmother's house to hear the same old stories she always told. What I wouldn't give right now to hear about how they had to lance Ant Lizzy right on the forehead because of all the pus because she fell or something... dag I can't remember the story. The things I took for granted. And then one was about how bad my summer of 1990 was. I really didn't remember that. But what had happened is I was in an architecture program at Carnegie Mellon. I was the ONLY black person. There was one other chick who was bi-racial, but you only knew if she told you, cause she looked white, and she was from Flint MI. I remember stuff like that. There was an Indian guy who I thought was black... but he wasn't. His name was Hishesh or Hitesh. I can't remember where he was from. I never really got the architecture stuff. It was very mathematical and I was clueless of what they wanted me to do most of the time. We did art in the morning and design in the afternoon... or vice versa. I took to the art, because I can draw and sketch and paint. OH this was the first time I had a live NUDE model and as a teen it was just embarrassing. I just getting used to my own body and then they had us looking at these nude people?!?! They started with a woman which was hard enough then they brought in a MAN. I had to look at and sketch a completely naked man. mostly those were just stick figures.

I do try to throw things away. When I watch Clean House or Hoarders i get into a massive throw away mode. But this stuff is priceless and I am glad I didn't.

2 comments:

  1. Because you are my BFF and I support you in everything you do. Even your random thoughts.
    :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH I am just now seeing this comment!! LAWD I'm so slow!!

    ReplyDelete