Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Did you ever want to...

be in one of those games where you race to get a million dollars? I don't mean a TV game show but you know like in Midnight Madness or Rat Race ?? None of these are Oscar worthy movies. They had some people who won Oscars in other movies but not these 2. There was another one I think it had Sammy Davis Jr and Burt Reynolds (who was a 80's movie staple) and a whole lot of big named folks... well you know for the 80's. Kinda makes you wonder where are they now like the main dude in Midnight Madness was also the American Werewolf in London although I'm looking at his (David Naughton) IMDB profile and he is working so OH YEAH... race to win millions!!

That would be so cool. You get a letter in the mail that says meet me at the location at 1:15AM. And then you get there and you see people you know like your sister, hair dresser, deacon from the church, the trainer from the gym you had your eye on, all in a quest for something. They give you a car like a Porsche or Camaro (i know I KNOW 2 different cars... but I'm thinking sports models here) and a map; not a GPS but a map, so you do have to have some skills in that area. You have 24 hours or a week to find whatever it is you need to find or get to where ever you need to get to and then you win the million dollars. Now there would be obstacles like maybe the state troopers are tipped off that this gang of people will be doing this so their are speed traps every step of the way. Yeah I think that would be cool.

I don't know why I was thinking about this. I mean even for me this is pretty darn random!! And for some reason I was convinced Jeremy Piven was the main dude for the Meat Machine which was the green team (they had color teams) in Midnight Madness but it was a dude named Brian Wilkin I think. They were the jocks and everytime they went on the quest they would do this chant spelling out M E A T M A C H I N E then saying MEAT MACHINE 3 times or something like that. There were jock, nerds, sorority girls and then the loveable team who has the adorable kid (Michael J. Fox in this case). I know I remember specific stuff about movies but I have not seen this thing since at least the late 80's. The other thing I remember is one of the clues was at the Bonaventure Hotel which had these glass elevators. And when I went to Los Angeles (oh yeah that's where this movie took place, it was a race across the city) I stayed there with my mom and grandmother, so I had a connection. I went up in the elevators and wondered even then how it would be if I were in this race. From the beginning of the movie you knew who the 'good guys' were and that they were going to win but you still have to watch the whole movie just to see how it all ends up.

Rat Race was just a bad movie, well bad in a I'll-watch-it-on-a-rainy-day-and-NOTHING-else-is-on kinda way. It had Whoopi Goldberg (who should have won her Oscar for Color Purple), Cuba Gooding Jr (who really hasn't done anything good since Jerry MacGuire... well I mean if you consider his role in that good. He should have won an Oscar for his role in Men of Honor which I don't even think was nominated although I have some thoughts on the whole military/war movies that focus on black people... a blog on that later), and Rowan Atkinson (Mr. Bean, whatever happened to THAT show?!?!). They go to this hotel room and have to race across the country I guess to this location that has the million dollars in it. It was 2 person teams and different things happened to different people. Like Rowan Atkinson's character had a sleeping disorder so he would fall asleep and miss out on clues. That part was funny!! There was this team where one of the guys just got his tongue pierced and it started to swell and turn purple so he couldn't really talk. And Whoopi was in the race with her daughter and their story line was kind dumb. To be honest I can't remember if anyone got the million bucks in the end which kinda sucks. But there was a parade so maybe they shared it or something? No real loss if you don't see it.

I think I single handily upped the percentage of Midnight Madness on IMDB. Had to check some facts. I wan tot have a factual blog here!! Granted most of it I pulled right out my ass but you know some things should be accurate!!

No comments:

Post a Comment