Sunday, December 3, 2017

musical hodgepodge

Getting into the Christmas spirit is hard for me for a lot of reasons and we all know I love the Little Baby Jesus.  But I know if I hear Mariah "all I want for Christmas" one more time I might kill someone.  ALSO, "Last Christmas" by anyone other than George Michael and even HE is a little iffy.  ALSO, if it's not Donny Hathaway don't play any other version of "This Christmas".  Both his slow and fast version.  My sister asked me if I liked Chris Browns version.  She almost got slapped!!  I can tolerate Luther's version, cause it's LUTHER, but for real for real ALL I like is Donny's version.  I do have some Christmas music.  Luther Vandross (of course right?), the Peanuts (yes the cartoon Peanuts) Christmas album, Rahsaan Patterson (yes this one is very random, but I like it), a mix one of my co-workers made back in the late 90's, Kirk Franklin and the family and that's about it.

I am currently listening to Kenny Lattimore who is doing great justice to Phil Collins "One more night"  even though I had to pause the cd to listen to Phil for a minute.  Actually Kenny did a version of an Elton John song that brought tears to my eyes.  But we all know I'm a big cry baby.  Let me find it... Come Down in Time!!  WHEW that song.  Sometimes lyrics need to be a little more elaborate that shake ya ass and I wanna screw (that's a Barb word LOL).  I don't usually like covers, but sometimes people can make the song their own.  Like LUTHER... I must need to put him on next!!  Even Lalah Hathaway can make you forget there was someone else before her that did the song.

I guess I'm in a music mood.  I was awed for a second when I asked my oldest nephew who said he listened to a lot of music but he didn't know who Ledisi was.  I think I repeated her name about 5 times and then he pulled he up on the youtube "Alright" came on and he was like OH OK.  Then I was like WELL WHAT DO YOU LISTEN TO?  He said Frank Ocean, The Weeknd... I just kinda gave him a blank stare.  I wanted to say THAT AINT MUSIC but I chilled LOL  I know I can be old school or hell just OLD sometimes, but I really don't like the new stuff now.  He mentioned a few people I have heard of like Future and Joey Badass, but if couldn't tell you what they sang or rapped. 
i said I heard of the Lil's like Lil Uzi Vert and the ASAP's like ASAP Rocky... But still have no clue what they rap.

Now I got my boy Eric Roberson on.  He recently did a trilogy of cd's.  When they came out I just did not have the funds.  But I just got the first installment EARTH.  I still need to get WIND and FIRE.  The elements!!  I know he explained it in one of his IG posts,  I know it is paying homage. 

Also, just bought Stokley who was the lead singer in Mint Condition.  I'm not sure why he felt the need to go solo.  The band is still together as far as I know.  He has done a few things on his own, but I guess not splitting the check 5 ways might be a benefit.  There is something about his first released single "Levels" that I just rubs me the wrong way but I knew I was gonna get his cd.




No comments:

Post a Comment