Wednesday, November 6, 2013

music review WED... cause it don't hafta be monday!!


I am sitting here listing to the ArchAndroid by Janelle Monae and I have a ton (quite literally a ton) of work because some shit just fell through the cracks so OF COURSE this is a good time to write a blog, right?  RIGHT!!  So it just occurred to me that not everyone gets it.  She is doing some really creative and different stuff here.  And I think folks really liked Tightrope but then that was it.  Just like Beyonce who passive listeners just like Single Ladies or whatever they are playing on the radio might not … oh wait that wasn’t a good example because she really releases everything!!!  Ok so that was my deep thought for the moment because this cd is just as different good and crazy as The Electric Lady. 

I attempted to get my music fix last week which Best Buy could not fill.  SO what I ended up doing was going on the good Amazon.  So what I didn’t realize with this little handy dandy tool called the Kindle Fire HD is that for the most part the music you purchase can also be downloaded on the kindle immediately after purchase SO I DID in fact have some instant gratification. I got Black Radio 2 by The Robert Glasper Experiment.  Now I thought this was just going to be remixes of the songs he did on the first Black Radio but NAH… it’s all new stuff and new arrangements to a few songs.  He worked with just so many people.  I still contend that Bilal sounds better when he duets with others and his song is with Jazmine Sullivan who I contend has not had great material to work with because she can SANG!!  Then you have a song with Brandy which I like.  I wasn’t really feeling her new CD.  Dwele’s song always takes me by surprise.  Then you have the goose pimply songs by Marsha Ambrosius, Jill Scott, Emeli Sande, and Lalah Hathaway not necessarily in that order.  Even the damn song by Macy Gray and Jean Grae is just GREAT.  Not mind you a few of these songs are on the deluxe edition because you can’t just buy the regular old CD you gots to get the DEE-LUXE!!  And bold me direct tweets Robert Glasper and I ask why the Japanese (which I spelled out because saying the Japs looked real REAL bad) got an extra song and he replied back  **SWOON** cause he saw MY tweet and twittering is not something I do well so that took me a back a bit!! LOL I got a mention which in the twitterverse is a GOOD THING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment