Friday, November 22, 2013

hodgepodge...

Today will be a hodgepodge of random stuff that I wrote at some point this week and maybe even some point this year…

It takes me a full 45 minutes to an hour to get my day started.  I have to read email (personal of course not work related), look at the facebook, Twitter if I’m feeling fancy, go to the bathroom, get water, finish my coffee, find the appropriate music for the day and then I’m good.  One of my favorite movies is Office Space.  The main character, Peter, says that he just zones out for about an hour after lunch and I think I zone out for about an hour before I actually start work.  Some days I just can’t get started.  And forget if it’s Friday (let today) I have to read everyone’s comment on Scandal and add my own. 

It has taken me all day to realize that the woman who I followed into work who had WAY too much perfume on, well the perfume did not mix well with her body chemistry.  It was a nice enough scent but I love it when people can put something on and it just blends in with whatever natural thing that got going on.  I used to sit behind a guy (Josh... name not changed to protect the innocent but I won’t put his last name) in high school and he wore whatever the popular cologne from Calvin Klein in like the late 80’s.  But OMG when I would get a whiff it was like I had died and gone straight to heaven.  It was a popular scent but on him it just somehow smelled BETTER!  And then there is this lady of a certain age here where I work who smells very maternal.  And not in a bad way, like I pass her in the hall and I want to give her a hug because she reminds me of my grandmothers.  And then there are those who just don’t blend the perfumes well with their scent.  It is a gift to know what works well with you.  I tend to like the old lady scents.  Give me anything by Estee Lauder.    I don’t like anything too fruity or pungent.  The last time I bought myself perfume was for my birthday more than 5 years ago.  That was Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker and it does indeed smell lovely. 

 
Last night I busted my boo-TAY as I tried to walk down my basement stairs.  I am still in a little pain but just popped a few pills to get a little relief.  Then just know I read my Our Daily Bread passage which was titled Genuine Concern.  As I got up last night I really wondered who is concerned about me?  Who is going to take care of me?  As a caretaker now for over 6 months for my mom, unless you are right there in it, you have no idea.  And when people ask about her I say the expected ‘Oh she’s fine’.  Most times she is but sometimes just really want to go in and say exactly what’s going on but people just want to hear that she is fine so that’s what I say.  I don’t get a lot of concerned questions for me and that stings a little sometimes but then alls I’m probably going to say is I’M FINE!

 
I am a church kid! I grew up in the church.  My family were on boards, and choirs, and committees to help everything run smoothly (hear them tell it).  And now I feel so guilty when I don’t go to church.  And actually when I do go I get my good word, pay my tithes and offering and I’m OUT!! I barely know anyone there and whoever I do know I don’t really know from church.  I have a few sorors, some friends and friends of friends and a few family members.  I know I should want to be more involved but sometimes I just don’t.  I know where my faith lies.  I know what I believe and who I am who I belong to, which brings me to ‘Preachers of LA’ the reality show on Oxygen station.  So many people are up in arms about the show. Other preachers, church folks (**side eye** to them), bloggers and random people who have something to say; and here’s what I have to say, wait what do I have to say? So let me start by saying I have only seen 2 episodes.  It is not something I set my DVR for or stay up to watch but it’s TV!  It’s supposed to be entertaining and drama filled.   I know one of the goals is to reach people and save some souls and some souls will be saved and some people will be turned off.  The lavish lifestyles that these mega church preachers live is a turn off to me.  I just don’t believe that’s what Jesus would do.  He was there for the people, He met them where they were.  And some of the rates these preachers charge is outrageous.  I remember when Katrina hit New Orleans and the people who couldn’t get out were just stuck.  One of the first things my pastor said was that Bishop Paul Morton (was it him or someone else hmm)  who at the time was (maybe still is... shows how much I pay attention) the head of the Full Gospel Fellowship made it out.  And I sat there and thought well what about his parishioners?  What about the least of them?  I was a little turned off by my own pastor that day.  But I get it.  I know these ministries take money to run.  Church is a business.  My only gripe is when we or they forget Christ.  And these men and women on this reality shows, even though it is about church and should be about Jesus, they are just regular men and women who  may have a anointing on their lives who decided to be on TV.  I think the show will reach those who need it.  There have been numerous times that I’ve flip the channel and see a televangelist and he or she just says the right thing for what I needed at that moment.  Every outlet, be it church, TV, sidewalks or whatever has there worth.  Everyone has a testimony that reaches different people for different reasons.  I love Joyce Meyers because she always says how mean she used to be and how she came so far, but she still has a rough edge that I’m sure some folks don’t like.  Some people like Pastor Jamal Bryant, but he is and probably will always be a slimy jerk to me.  Now I know he reaches people just not me, in the same way the Preachers of LA… and you know I done lost my train of thought and when it gets back on track I’ll revisit the subject
 
Sidebar – WHY did I just click on a youtube video of these little Korean kids playing the guitar?!?!  They are getting it in!!! LOL WHEW!! They can’t be more than 6 and the guitars are almost bigger than them.


No comments:

Post a Comment