Monday, October 21, 2013

blog goals and other pertinent random...


I have some new goals for my blogging.  The main goal is to do at least 3 a week.  Last week I got out one on Monday, Wednesday and Friday which is actually pretty good.  I just need to be going in a direction that is vaguely close to at least one of my dreams that I had once upon a time.  I don’t know what happened or rather is happening, but I am just not happy nor content with the direction my life is taking.  And I know it has mostly to do with me getting ready to turn the big 4-0.  Sure everyone says life starts after 40, but I wanted to make one of those 40 under 40 lists.  You know like the ones they have in local magazines.  Like the 40 entrepreneurs or restaurateurs to watch.  Or just the general 40 people who are just doing the damn thing!  I went to school with a guy that ended up on one of those lists in the Baltimore Magazine.  No wait actually he was on a top singles list I think and I FOR SURE can be on one of those since I am perpetually single.  But then he got married like the next year. So there’s that. Maybe a new goal is to make the top 50 under 50!?

My BFF posted an article that listed the 25 things every woman should know.  This list was a little different from the average list.  My favorites were #3) You should resolve to be awesome for the rest of your life. Right now. Do it. and #4) Leggings, no matter how much we wish, will never one day magically transform into pants. Wearing them with tops that don’t cover your bum is not cute. Please, please, please stock up on pants. I think a lot of people make a subconscious decision to be mediocre, but why not choose awesome? Like how Olivia Pope’s father told her on the season premiere of Scandal.  First Lady? Do you have to be so mediocre? This is by no means a knock at the First Lady, because we all know how awesome Michelle is and quietly so was Laura Bush.  But going from mistress and aspiring to be first lady is in fact mediocre. And before I go off on a Scandal tangent… I am not leggings kinda chick but really just wear a long enough top and you’ll be good.  Although if you think it’s awesome to wear a short shirt, do you boo boo!! The other one I like #14) Here’s the truth: you are going to waste a lot of hours focusing on who you are not, or who you want to secretly be. But you won’t ever wake up and actually be that person. You’ve got to embrace what you bring to the table. If you don’t like what that is, have the courage to change it. So that is what I’m trying to do, have the courage to change a few things.

I have a special place of dislike in my heart for customer service people who are in the form of dis-compassionate medical people, customer service phone lines for the bazillion things I seem to acquire or restaurant people.  The phone line people have an extra special place especially when English is not their first language.  But when English IS your first language, what you still are not on do is try to talk loud and make me think I’m crazy.  I do that very well by myself so either help me with my issue or connect me with someone who has a clue!  On the flip side when I get that nurse who goes out of her way to make sure the needle isn’t hurting me, or the customer service rep who actually helps me OR the cashier who doesn’t make me think I’m a  bother, then I’m good! 

I’m just now remembering that Monday was supposed to be Music Monday! I just bought 4 CD’s and I wanted to review them. Maybe I’ll do it Wed or Fri.  I think I’m the last person who still buys CD’s.  Everyone just download them or just buys the one song that they like.  Sometimes you miss some good stuff that they play on the radio when you just do the 1 song that is played in constant rotation on the radio.  In fact I am completely convinced people don’t know what good music is anymore.  Now I’m not about to get on a soapbox and say that only stuff from a certain era is good music like some people do for the 60’s and 70’s because people are always making good music, it’s just the powers that be keeping the good stuff out.  There was a really interesting discussion with my book club ladies.  We are all varied in age but the question of what is truly ‘old school’ came up.  For some it was music from the 70’s and 80’s.  For me it’s anything from age 10 – college which includes, DeBarge, New Edition, Guy, Heavy D, well ALL happy rap LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment