Friday, February 3, 2023

I know those yams are meant for me!!

 A friend on the Facebook had a meme that said ‘Being an adult makes you realize just how quickly you can spend $200, but also how to live off $17 for the week…’ I laughed as I do at things that are factual YET relevant and then I looked at my bank account.  I spend way too much on unnecessary things.  I can justify pretty much all of it, but it really needs to change.   I am on a self-imposed Spending Fast which mainly means no shopping on QVC, HSN, frivolously at the Dollar Tree (but it’s just 5 quarters which add up!!), Amazon and other online websites buying shit I don’t need.  Also, reducing my eating out which some weeks and months are worse than others.  I have food at home that I am gonna eat!!

 

I watched some pretty bad movies last weekend and when I posted on the Facebook that these movies were in fact BAD, a lot of people came to their defense. So just cause you liked it I have to?!? Is that how this works? Nope cause I really didn’t like it and I said what I said. But I can break it down

**SPOILERS**

The Drop

The premise is a bunch of couples going to their friend’s wedding and one of the friends drops the baby. Dropping a baby in and of itself is not funny, but the movie was full of comedians like Jermaine Fowler (the dude who was in Coming to America 2); Robin Thede (Black Lady Sketch Show) actually her part were about the only funny parts; Aparna Nancherla who plays in stuff… she has a dry witty deadpan comedy, but she’s funny.  The baby is dropped, they go to the house/hotel where the wedding is going to be and everyone is analyzing their life and life choices.  I only laughed a little.  And then I couldn’t figure out how they were friends.  Were they college friends?  Did they grow up together?  Did they work together?  I couldn’t figure it out and then it was over!!

You People

This movie I have gotten the most flack for saying I didn’t like it.  It is staring Eddie Murphy, Julia Louis Dreyfus, Jonah Hill and Lauren London AND ALSO Nia Long and David Duchovny… and Rhea Pearlman.  Basically an interracial comedy (I guess); Jonah is Jewish and Lauren is Muslim and the 2 have to overcome their families and yadda yadda yadda, then end up married at the end.  I initially had a hard time with the actual couple, not the black and white of it, but the Jonah and Lauren of it.  Like in what world are they ever together? Lauren London is freaking gorgeous and Jonah… I mean, he’s an acquired taste (I guess).  I kept trying to look at him and see him as a sexual being and I just could not.  He did nothing for me! Just NOTHING!!!  I think there were only a few scenes that they actually kissed and the chemistry was forced at best.  Maybe if they had an actual sex scene? That might have persuaded me.  And then I remembered Lauren used to be with Lil Wayne (I mean I know that is real life and this is a movie, don’t @ me!!) and in all honesty, you like/love who you like/love, so that part I relented on.  And then we have Eddie Murphy who is pure comedy, but not so much in this movie.  He was a jerk!  And Julia was ditsy but in her way was trying to get to know her daughter in-law to be.  And Nia Long and David Duchovny barely spoke and then they threw Mike Epps in who I think was the brother.  They also threw La La Anthony and Rhea Pearlman.  It was just a disjointed, forced, mess of a movie.  But hey… It’s #1 on the Netflix so go ahead and watch.

Black Adam

The Rock is Shazam set in a random Middle East country.  It’s DC so don’t expect much.  I wanted to like The Rock, Aldis Hodge, Quintessa (cause how can you not want to root for someone with that name), Pierce Brosnan and a few other folks.  And with about 30 minutes to go, they introduced the big bad and I was like HOLE UP this movie is almost over!  WTH?!?!?  Even as I type I have done a whole lot of loud sighing.  The CGI was bad, the dialogue was bad...  I mean, it was just bad. Even The Rock in all the skin tight costume didn’t do it for me.   He was supposed to be the anti-hero but then… Listen, I did not like it.  And as one of my friends on the Facebook said ‘It’s a good thing I’m not a movie critic!’  In general I am just tired of Hollywood telling me I should watch and like this movie (any movie) that they spent all these millions on, and the independent films, low budget films, cult classic films that are actually good don’t get the promotion. 

Am I the onliest one who has this song on repeat in my head rent free for no good reason?!?!? Can I get to the yams?? Sweet YAMS... show me the way, cause I got bills to pay!!!!  Yams is life I guess!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment