Thursday, March 13, 2014

mic please...


I am not a hoarder… but I do have hoarding tendencies.  I can rationalize just about anything to keep or buy or not throw away; which is why last spring when I had someone come help me with my lil issue it brought to light just how much shit I had.  So 95% of the people in my office building are moving and with that comes massive amounts of shit that had in their office, cubes, closets and general team areas.  It has been SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO hard for me to not pick up the stuff they are throwing away.  SO hard!!  And to my defense I have passed a lot of it up mainly because it was crap.  But for some reason I am still stuck on cups.  Do I need them no of course not, but did that stop me?  NO OF COURSE NOT!  I have 3 new travel mugs that are mainly for cold drinks and I have rationalized that they would be good for my mother…err I mean roommate.  She needs more incentive to drink water.  That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.  I did pass up tons of office supplies because my basement is already cluttered with the booty they I got from closing an office a few years ago.  Today I have rationalized the need for a rolling file drawer.  I mean COME ON, it has wheels!  So actually this is a good find! AGAIN… that’s my story and I’m sticking to it. 

There is this new campaign to ban the word bossy.  I must admit, I’m not real sure about the whole thing. I have seen a few of the ads and it does make me cringe; probably because I have been called bossy or some version of it my whole life.  Recently while dealing with my mother and some of her needs it was said to me and  I let it slide because I thought well if I’m NOT bossy then shit won’t get done.  It never occurred to me that this word can make girls recoil and not want to be the leaders that they can be.  Even now, this project I’m on at work I defer to my white male co-worker because I never want to come across as the angry black chick or the bossy girl.  I just don’t want to rock the boat.  I have wanted to fly below the radar and just make sure things are easy peasy even though I know questions need to be asked, meeting need to be held, accountability needs to occur for things not getting done.  Sometimes extra assertion is needed and no one should be labeled as being bossy.  Words mean things so maybe this is a good campaign to get people to think about how girls and women are thought of by the words used.  Many women of influence are on this campaign because they are the main ones that have risen above that and any other label.  For the average girl I’m sure it can be hard.  Just watch what you say to the little ones.  It can have a bad connotation. 

So I think my Tribe Called Quest lyric titles are randomly lost on my random readers so maybe I need to some other randomness for the titles??!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment