Thursday, January 23, 2014

patterns snow hipster random...

It is very interesting to see the patterns people exhibit.  I have purposely not spoken to my weird ass co-worker to see if he will.  He hasn’t since he started working here so I’m not sure why I think he will start today.  Calling people is also another experiment.  I have often tried to see how long it will take someone to call me even though I call often to make sure they are ok.  Last night on Being Mary Jane part of the story she was doing was a woman who died and no one noticed for 3 years.  I think that is a bit extreme and exaggerated, but I often wonder how long it will take someone to miss me.  Well now since I have the 71 year old roommate maybe a little less time.  She would miss me but then how long would it take for her to call anyone?  I wonder.  I think my train of thought was that sometimes we miss the signs that are right in front of us.  I know I miss the writing on the wall sometimes.  And sometimes I just ignore it.

The big news of the day is that it’s snowing!  But its winter and I live in the Mid-Atlantic sooooo… why is that news again?  I am from Pittsburgh, went to school in it and learned to drive in it, since I am a January baby, snow is such a nonfactor.  I get up clean off my car and go to work!  I expect everyone to do that.  But not so here in Baltimore.  They actually closed everything and I do mean EVERYTHING even before one snow flake fell.  And I get it; I mean at least I think I do.  God forbid if I say something to anyone here or further south.  The explanation is that ‘they’ aren’t prepared.  But YEAH ‘they’ kinda are!  It probably wouldn’t faze me if I was in an industry that didn’t keep moving no matter what the weather and if I was a full-time employee. But both of these for me are not true.  I work in the financial industry and when the stock market is on, so are we.  Now what I do specifically is not that essential, but I am a lowly contractor thankful for my job, if I don’t work, I don’t eat.  And I’m not trying to be so dramatic, but it’s really real, I mean I won’t starve immediately mostly because I have lots of extra layers, and some cash in reserve, but you know what I mean!

This past Friday I went after saying I needed several drinks on the good Facebook a friend of mine said that a DJ I hadn’t seen in years was playing at a spot in Baltimore.  I had never heard of this place, The WindUp.  The powers that be are revamping North Ave. it’s called ‘Station North’.  I guess in part to separate it from its hood tendencies.  At any rate after I found a parking spot comically in front of Club Choices (put ya guns up what’s up WHAT’S UP!!) and then proceeded to read the meter information to see if I needed to pay.  I don’t mess with getting tickets in Baltimore City so thankfully the Asian guy from the restaurant told me I didn’t need to put money in there.  There was a homeless dude that looked like he was about to get out of pocket but what he didn’t know is he was gonna get a massive beat down.  He stayed in his lane!  So I’m all excited Kommie Pig which is a food truck is outside of the place.  I get a hotdog because I just needed a little something.  The random guy in front of me says I have to try the potato salad.  I didn’t want anything mayonnaisey yet his response was well don’t worry about the calories.  Lookey here little boy, let me concern myself with calories and my butt.  The food truck dude gives me a fork and I ensure there are no cooties and give a taste.  Pretty good!!  Now even though the cover was only 5 bucks I still managed to get there before you had to pay.  I can be real frugal that way. LOL I find some seats next to the break dancing ‘cypher’; you know what I’m not even sure if that’s what you call it but it was a bunch of kids in a circle trying to 1 up each other by break dancing which I didn’t even know was popular. At the point where there were too many flat asses in my face I decided to move.  I met my friend and her boyfriend at the bar.  I should say I don’t really do clubs to much anymore, HOWEVER in the name of getting out there more I have been to a few places this month.  My issue is I don’t like crowds, I don’t like to be pushed; I don’t like you dancing all up on me.  I just need my own little space and corner and I’m good.  So I decided that I would make my way to the wall and either lean or dance whatever the song called for.  This is a mixed club but it is mostly 20something Baltimore hipsters who are an odd yet interesting bunch to say the least. I get to the wall and begin my lean and then the DJ put on something that deserved a lil 2 step.  The crew to my right were drunk white girls.  **LOUD SIGH** Please leave me alone and more importantly don’t spill your drink on me.  So one decided I needed to be her best friend.  HEY!!! YOU CAN JOIN OUR CIRLCE!!!  Ummm… no thanks I’m good right here.  NO NO NO!!!! JOIN OUR CIRCLE!!!  So I move a little more to the left.  I don’t know where the blind dude came from but all of a sudden there was a guy in the middle of the floor with a big ass seeing eye stick… wait what do you call them?  A big cane that blind people use.  A CANE.  This is very curious to me because no one is helping him.  Not that he needed help… but yeah he kinda did.  I kept looking around to see where his friends were.  I think the dudes dancing near him were his friends but it was strange.  He persists to bumping into EVERYONE around him… well cause he’s blind.  But wait is he really blind?  Naturally he makes his way to me and I’m standing there like DAMMIT WHY ME?!?!  I am just trying to post up and wait for Rich Medina, the DJ.  He of course bumps into me and steps on my toes, but I take it for a bit, well you know cause he’s blind.  Now I may have imagined this but I coulda swore he reached for the girls.  I stood there for a second like DID THIS FOOL (BLIND FOOL) JUST TRY TO TOUCH MY GOODIES?!?!?  So I move more to the left.  Now I am smack dab in the middle of black Baltimore hipsters who CANNOT DANCE.  The one guy was dancing so hard I was really afraid for my life, he was dancing like Elaine (from Senfield LOL).  At this point I have had all the ‘partying’ I can handle for one night.  I move more to the left and now in front of the speakers and it is just way too loud for my 40 year old self LOL.  I found my friends got my coat that I hung up.  I’m not sure why I thought it was ok to do that, but I am pretty trusting and it was still there.  I went to the back just as Rich came on, but at this point I am so sleepy and the floor is concrete and it just about murdered my back.  I listen for maybe another ½ hour and then I’m out.  I was going to hit up the food truck again but they were moving slow and I needed to sit…. You know cause I’m 40 now!!

When my initial response to something is ‘how the fuck does that help me?’ I know I need to take a step back before responding…  Responding with that potty mouth will not get me anywhere so I should woosai…  I’m turning up my music which is good mix from Gilles Peterson basement session.  Maybe if I get up and do a little kneegrow 2-step I’ll feel even better!?  The folks would really think I’m crazy then.

I guess I shouldn’t be mad when they don’t celebrate my birthday at work when I never bother to tell anyone… but then they never bother to ask.  Hmmm…. And then when they DO celebrate someone whose birthday is near mine I get a lil funky.  I guess I can’t have it both ways LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment