Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Essence PART II

STARAHS!!!

Essence draws a huge crowd of regular folks and stars!  So the first sighting I see is lil Raheem DeVaughn on the Southwest plane to New Orleans.  He is wearing a hoodie and has on sun glasses and his big beat by Dre headphones.  It’s funny cause when I used to hang out in DC he was at many of the shows and parties but I never actually met him.  Hmmm…  Anyways people were looking at him, like I KNOW I KNOW this dude but who is he!?

Friday we went to the convention center which was a big overwhelming place with tons of people.  I didn’t really see anyone up close but Steve Harvey, (the right) Rev. Al Sharpton, Michael Baisden (who didn’t really answer the question about why he was fired… cause that’s in the past is what he said), Pooch Hall was at the Mickey Dee’s stage,  Lance Gross and Trey Songz were all there.  I’m sure there were more OH wait there was a panel with Shaunie O’Neal, Chante Moore, Monifa, Kenya Moore (who didn’t get booed, but she might as well have), Trina Braxton, and Andrea Kelly on the reality of reality TV.  Everyone has a reason for wanting to be on a reality show but it has gotten so nasty and confrontational that I don’t think I would want to be on one now.  Back when the 1st Real World came on in New York with Kevin and Heather B (LOL) was about the onliest time I thought I would want to be on a show like that… but I was 18 so you know, that’s what 18 year olds think.  But NOW 48 year olds still want to capture 15 minutes of fame. 

We went to The Intercontinental Hotel which was across the street from the 1st Hilton we stayed… cause when they announce Beyonce’s show was on Sunday the schedule got rearranged and the hotel got booked up.  But there were a lot of people shuffling around Saturday and Sunday.  I met one guy who was at the Double Tree a few days, then the Hilton and then they had to move to yet another hotel.  The booking I know can get crazy.  I was hoping not to have to moved, but then I’m kinda glad we did.  Anyway we go to Intercontinental to see what their restaurant had (which wasn’t much) and see Nicole Ari Parker.  She was taking pics with the wait staff who were very happy to see her.  But she’s from Baltimore and is a cousin of on of my GGG’s friends and she’s a woman sooo, it was nice to see her but the HAPPY GRIN came when I saw Boris come up the escalator.  Keep in mind he is my fantasy masseur who I would gladly oblige a happy ending (LMBAO…. Whew!!).  And not only him but his equally fine ass brother was coming up the escalator as well.  It should be against the law to have 2 brothers look that good!  I didn’t get any pics of them L

So the move to The Hilton Riverside was a good one!!  The starahs were there!  So in the hallway Mint Condition is getting settled there.  I only got a picture with Larry Waddell (piano player AND CUTIE!!) because I was too nervous to as Jeffrey Allen (the other piano player).  It looked like Ricky Kinchen (the bass player) was having some room difficulty so I was scared to ask him either cause he looked pissed.  I did not see Stokley or O’Dell.  Shaunie O’Neal was standing right beside me and she is real regular looking.  NO shade!!  She is a pretty woman but seeing folks up close I’m just like OH oh… that’s what you look like?!  On the street in search of a drink which I ended up getting a big ass appletini, Blair Underwood (aka CASANEGRA!!!  LOL) passed by with his, well what I think was his child and a light skinded woman followed.  I have never thought he was as fine as some people do or did.  But Mr. Underwood is aging quite nicely!!  It might have helped that he had facial hair which is always a turn on for me (along with long walks and wine!! LOL)

At the actual show they camera folks would show the folks sitting in the floor seat and there were a few recognizable people there.  And that was it for the starahs! 


THE FOOD!!

I didn’t have one bad meal! 

Something Else Café - I had the shrimp burger.  I thought it was going to be like a whole shrimp on a bun BUT NO it was chopped up shrimps (yes shrimps) and this greenish sauce that was GREAT!!!  And some chips I think were local OH and a strawberry Abita beer which was local! And then the bread pudding!! HEAVEN!!

Luke – This was the restaurant at the 1st Hilton which was on St. Charles St.  All I had was the burger but OH MY LAWD what a burger!!  I can’t remember what kinda cheese but it was just a good ass burger (well not ASS burger although it mighta coulda been ass meat?!?).  And then I had the steamed chocolate.  It was this chocolate patty (for lack of a better description) with salted caramel ice cream.  The ice cream could have used a little lest salt but it was truly a great dessert.

Convention Center – I totally forgot the name of the place because each booth had a separate restaurant or caterer that had various types of food.  So I got the red beans and rice with sausage which I think was gator sausage!  It was sooooo good, but heavy. So I was hella tired after.  Then we had to fight with a dude at a table of empty chairs so his wife and her friend could have a place to sit.  Yeah I’ma go ahead and sit down until she comes!! Chivalrous much? And in true black folks ‘we are family’ fashion some random ladies sit down (well when more seats open up) we are all chatting and one of the ladies said I need for you to go ahead and be done so I can taste your food.  LMAO!!! So that’s what she did!  I pushed my plate over and she had some red beans and rice!!

Luke –(again for brunch)-  So the goal was to go someplace different but this place proved to already be a winner and the wait at the Ruby Slipper was an 1 ½ hours so we went back to Luke.  I got eggs in a jar! And it was… well EGGS IN A JAR! With grits and shrimp and I think and English muffin was on the bottom.   I never thought I would be a big poached egg fan and there is a certain art to getting it hard enough and soft enough without being disgusting.  They got it right!

Grand Isle Grille – I made the mistake of asking if they had wings and the server looked at me like I spit in her face.  She was like NO MA’AM!  We do NOT have wings.  I wanted to say calm down lady!!  So what I got was the shrimp and grits and the sangria and a cup of seafood chowder.  ALL of it was good!! And then I sashayed back to the hotel and made a mad dash to the airport!!
 

This trip was definitely needed and I had a blast.  Although I needed a few days to recoup the next time I go to Essence I will not make rookie mistakes and be prepared!!

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment